Monday, March 17, 2014

Commitment

This is NOT Jan enjoying her yogurt.
It’s time for another biweekly update on my progress. It’s been 4 weeks since I began this journey and I’m down 4 pounds. Of course, I was down 4 pounds two weeks ago. I can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed in the slowness of the process. Part of me wants to be upset over this but I refuse to go there. This is a learning experience and I have to re-learn what makes my body burn calories in the most efficient way. I don’t have gastric bypass malabsorption going for me anymore. In the 15 years after weight loss surgery, my body has adapted and learned how to reabsorb calories….and very efficiently I might add. However, I can say that I have maintained a healthy diet and basic exercise since the previous 2 weeks.

My next dietary adjustment is going to slightly decrease my carbohydrate intake. Just once I wish I could sit down and say “I love cauliflower” or “more broccoli please”…but that’s not going to happen. Carbs have always been the sabotaging factor for my diets (before weight loss surgery). Even after surgery, I love thin-crust pizza; I love cheeseburgers, crackers, chips, and rice. These foods call my name….even when I’m not hungry….because I want that euphoric rush that I get after taking those first few bites---and that my friends is the definition of addiction….but one I intend to control. 

If I’m going to be successful, I have to have these in small amounts and stick with our basic tenant of protein first, then vegetables/fruits, and then small amounts of carbs. I also have to make a serious commitment to doing this.

Our Pastor says that we only truly commit to the things we value. If I say I value good health and then don’t fully commit to behaviors that support the ability to obtain good health, then it won’t happen. Our Pastor believes that everyone wants “The Good Life.” We want and value good looks, good health, and even value “getting the goods” (i.e. being successful monetarily).  Instead of valuing “The Good Life” we should be valuing “The God Life.” We all need to commit to loving God, loving each other, and loving ourselves as God loves us. It’s my belief that I can honor God by maintaining the healthy body He gave me. So, I’m committing to decreasing carbs in the next two weeks…we will all find out if that made a difference at the next posting.  

Until then, here is another tip:
Dannon’s Light & Fit Greek Yogurt ---Only 80 calories, 12 grams protein; 9 grams carbohydrate; 8 grams of sugar; and 0 grams fat. I use it as a snack in between meals.  Place it in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to eating and you will have a thick, creamy, and refreshing pick-me-up dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment